William George Hardy was instrumental in helping to build the first ice rink on the University of Alberta campus that opened on December 1, 1927. His passion for hockey led him to become involved as an executive member of both the Alberta Amateur Hockey Association and the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association. William George Hardy assisted in establishing new playoff systems for the Allan Cup and Memorial Cup. He served as President of the International Ice Hockey Association and then became involved in forming the International Ice Hockey Federation that he presided over from 1948 to 1951. William George Hardy was a life member of both the Alberta and Canadian Amateur Hockey Associations. In 1987, he was named as a member of the University of Alberta Wall of Fame.