Elsie Barlow has played and coached ladies fastball from the age of 14. Teams she was associated with captured several city, provincial and Western Canadian championships. For 25 years, she kept scores and statistics for the men's intermediate "A" and senior leagues. She also organized all Northern Alberta's provincial playoffs during those years. In the winter months, Elsie Barlow actively participated in her second love -- speed skating. She served in many executive positions, including the Canadian Amateur Speed Skating Association Records Chairperson -- the only woman to hold this position. Elsie Barlow officiated in all city, provincial, national and North American speed skating meets hosted by Alberta from 1948 to 1966.
- 1960 - City of Edmonton Recreation Award
- 1967 - Confederation Medal
- 1970 - City of Edmonton Sports Hall of Fame
- 1977 - Queen Elizabeth Silver Jubilee Medal
- 1979 - Trophy & plaque - in recognition of participation in Amateur Sport in the Province on its' 75th Anniversary (1980).
- 1984 - Softball Alberta Hall of Fame
- 1987 - Softball Alberta Hall of Fame - Edmonton Pat's Softball Teams 1936-1946.
- 1990 - AB Parks & Recreation award for outstanding contribution toward Amateur Sport in the Province of Alberta in Softball and Speed skating.
- 2001 - Alberta Sports Hall of Fame - named Female Builder of the Century
- 2005 - Alberta Centennial Salute for Sport and Recreation Award